Friday, June 19, 2009

New to virtual worlds

One may wonder what keeps you coming back to virtual worlds or Second Life especially if that first entre' into a VW is less than enjoyable..well speaking from experience there has to be some connection with something that you find meaningful or passionate about. For me it is the link between virtual and learning.

My first experiences in Second Life were awkward and well..newby. I can recall bobbling around at an in world music event and falling into the water surrounding the event..well at least 20 times. I would then pick myself up and fly or get back on dry land only to do it again.

I really did have that newby look down to an art...duck walk, pink polka dot dress and a tendency to go where no newby should go. After a couple of months of sporadic visits to second life I gave up and did not go back in world until my job required that I have some sort of knowledge of second life and virtual worlds.

I then came back, with a mission. Maybe it was because it was winter, I was bored with trying to figure out how to watch TV or the fact that I read Second Life for Dummies but I was now able to fully immerse myself in the life and times of Second Life. I was hooked

I bought and sold land, uploaded pictures, set up media players, joined groups, chatted went to events and even did a little teaching.

I feel more than comfortable in world now. Everyday I learn more about how people learn, how they live in second life, and the changes they have made and that have been made to them as a result of their second life experience.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Cathy,
    I'd be fascinated to know what sort of things people learn and how it affects their day-to-day (first world) life.
    Nina

    ReplyDelete